Tuesday, 23 September 2014

23 . Lion City Singapore

Today's prompt: A guide to your city! Share some of the hot-spots & hidden gems of where you live


I'm not sure if I'm good enough to be introducing my city to the world, but I might share some good food!
There are definitely people who are better fitted at this. But let's just say my introduction will easily benefit even the very first timer on this sunny city island - Singapore.

We, pretty much was a deserted island and very much like a part of New York, where immigrants climb on our shores. Our ancestors are mostly Chinese and our native language is Malay, and we were once colonised by the British, and we're just a mix of all our neighbours.
Hence, cuisine or dishes we claimed to be our own is often challenged. But I don't care. The same dish is not going to taste the same across shore, and dim sum is not gonna be the same in every Chinatown on earth.




Sambal Stingray
source
Fragrant (but burning!) spice paste over perfectly barbecued stingray.. usually drizzled with a lil' lime juice for a tinge of citrus that amazingly goes well with seafood making the meat juicer..
Prices are commonly around SGD20+ even for a large one. Can be found at..

  • Lau Pa Sat / Telok Ayer Market
  • Newton Circus / Newton Food Centre
  • Makansutra Gluttons Bay
Just to name a few...


Curry Laksa
source
There are many, many, many variants of laksa, so many I can't even begin with! In Singapore, we usually speak of the "Katong Laksa" though you do not necessarily go to Katong for it. It's usually just known by "Laksa", and if you ask me, it's so different from curry. Laksa is a concoction of spices and LOTS of coconut milk and depending on the variant, could be sour or even sweet.. I don't really find Laksa spicy, don't let the red broth fool you! There's usually cockles (I prefer not), prawns, tau pok (curd puffs), eggs, fish cakes and bean sprouts.
It can be found in any food court/centres and is usually sold with other noodles... which brings me to the next...


Bak Chor Mee
source

Minced Pork Noodles, and what is special is the addition dash of mushroom + vinegar sauce.. A tinge of sour and savoury in every mouth. Most are served with a slice of pork liver but I'd usually opt out. This is a really cheap and common dish, found in any  food centre.

There are of  course many more good food here but there not many that I can give warrant for taste Everywhere. These 3 dishes can go hardly go wrong. I hope you'll get the chance to come and try them yourselves and that I didn't make you too hungry!


Brave Love Blog
I'm participating in
The Blog-tember Challenge



Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...